The best way we recommend to get the cheapest auto insurance rates in Toledo is to compare quotes annually from insurers that insure vehicles in Ohio. You can compare rates by completing these steps.
- Step 1: Try to understand the different coverages in a policy and the factors you can control to keep rates down. Many risk factors that drive up the price like accidents, traffic violations, and a less-than-favorable credit rating can be improved by paying attention to minor details. Keep reading for tips to get low prices and find available discounts that you may qualify for.
- Step 2: Compare price quotes from direct, independent, and exclusive agents. Direct companies and exclusive agencies can only give prices from a single company like Progressive or Farmers Insurance, while independent agents can provide prices for many different companies.
- Step 3: Compare the new quotes to your current policy premium to see if you can save by switching companies. If you find a lower rate and change companies, make sure coverage does not lapse between policies.
- Step 4: Give notification to your current company of your intention to cancel your current auto insurance policy. Submit the application along with any required down payment to the new company. Once the application is submitted, put the proof of insurance certificate in your vehicle's glove compartment or console.
One thing to remember is to make sure you're comparing the same amount of coverage on every price quote and and to get price estimates from as many companies as possible. Doing this provides a fair price comparison and the best price quote selection.
Unthinkable but true, over 70% of drivers have bought insurance from the same company for at least the last four years, and just under half have never compared insurance rates at all. Toledo drivers could pocket about 55% a year just by comparing rates, but they mistakenly think it's difficult to compare rates.
You Can Change Your Insurance Rates
Many things are used when you get a price on insurance. Some are pretty understandable like your driving record, but other criteria are not quite as obvious like your vehicle usage or your vehicle rating. The best way to find cheaper insurance is to take a look at some of the things that help determine your policy premiums. When consumers understand what determines base rates, this helps enable you to make changes that can earn you big savings.
The factors shown below are a few of the "ingredients" utilized by car insurance companies to help set premiums.
File insurance claims and pay more - Companies in Ohio generally give most affordable rates to insureds who are claim-free. If you tend to file frequent claims, you can look forward to either a policy non-renewal or much higher rates. Your car insurance is meant to be used in the event of the bigger claims that can't be paid out-of-pocket.
Do you save by driving less? - The more miles you rack up on your Saturn in a year the higher the price you pay to insure it. Almost all companies apply a rate based upon how you use the vehicle. Cars and trucks not used for work or commuting cost less to insure as compared to vehicles used primarily for driving to work. Make sure your insurance policy correctly shows the right rating data, because improper ratings can cost you money. Incorrect rating for your Sky may be wasting your money.
Big city or small town - Residing in a small town has definite advantages when trying to find low car insurance rates. Less people living in that area corresponds to lower accident rates in addition to lower liability claims. City drivers have more traffic problems and a longer drive to work. Spending more time driving means more chance of being in an accident.
If you don't need it don't buy it - There are a ton of additional coverages that you can buy if you aren't diligent. Coverages for rental car reimbursement, towing coverage, and extra life insurance coverage are some examples. These coverages may sound good at first, but if you've never needed them in the past eliminate them to save money.
Lower insurance rates with uninterrupted coverage - Driving without insurance is illegal and any future policy may cost more because you let your coverage cancel without a new policy in place. Not only will rates go up, being ticketed for driving with no insurance can result in a steep fine or even jail time. You may have to prove you have insurance by filing a SR-22 with the Ohio department of motor vehicles.
Liability limits are a factor - The liability section of your policy is the protection when you are determined to be liable for damages caused by your negligence. It provides for a legal defense to defend your case. Liability insurance is quite affordable compared to physical damage coverage, so insureds should have plenty of protection for their assets.
Females pay lower prices - Statistics show women tend to be less risk to insure than men. Now that doesn't mean males are worse at driving than females. Males and females tend to get into fender benders in similar numbers, but males get into accidents with more damage. In addition to higher claims, males also receive more costly citations such as driving while intoxicated (DWI) or driving recklessly.
Saturn Sky insurance discounts in Toledo
Companies don't necessarily list all discounts very clearly, so the next list breaks down a few of the more well known as well as the least known discounts that you may qualify for.
- Early Renewal Discounts - A few insurance companies offer discounts for switching policies prior to the expiration date on your current Sky insurance policy. The savings is around 10%.
- Discounts for Responsible Drivers - Accident-free drivers could pay up to 40% less compared to rates paid by drivers with frequent claims.
- Service Members Pay Less - Being deployed with a military unit could be rewarded with lower insurance rates.
- Air Bag Discount - Options like air bags can qualify for discounts of up to 25% or more.
- Seat Belt Discounts - Drivers who require all vehicle occupants to buckle up can save up to 10 percent (depending on the company) off the PIP or medical payment premium.
Consumers should know that some of the credits will not apply to your bottom line cost. Most only cut specific coverage prices like collision or personal injury protection. Even though it may seem like adding up those discounts means a free policy, it just doesn't work that way.
If you would like to view insurance companies who offer discounts in Ohio, click here.
Shop smart and save
Consumers leave their current company for any number of reasons including questionable increases in premium, unfair underwriting practices, denial of a claim or even policy non-renewal. Regardless of your reason for switching companies, choosing a new company is less work than it seems.
Budget-friendly insurance in Toledo can be purchased online and from local insurance agents, so you should compare both in order to have the best chance of saving money. There are still a few companies who may not provide online rate quotes and most of the time these regional insurance providers only sell coverage through independent insurance agents.
When buying insurance coverage, it's very important that you do not skimp on coverage in order to save money. There have been many cases where consumers will sacrifice uninsured motorist or liability limits only to regret that it was a big mistake. Your objective should be to purchase plenty of coverage at the best cost and still be able to protect your assets.
Even more information can be read in the articles below:
- Determining Auto Insurance Rates (GEICO)
- Who Has Affordable Car Insurance Quotes for Immigrants in Toledo? (FAQ)
- Frontal Crash Tests (iihs.org)
- Teen Driving Statistics (iihs.org)
- Rental Car Insurance Tips (Insurance Information Institute)