A recent NerdWallet.com study revealed that the vast majority of car insurance customers have purchased from the same company for a minimum of four years, and just under half have never even shopped around for cheaper coverage. Toledo drivers can cut their rates by up to 55% a year just by shopping around, but they just assume it takes a lot of time to find cheaper insurance by shopping around.
Truthfully, the best way to get more affordable auto insurance rates in Toledo is to make a habit of regularly comparing prices from insurance carriers who provide car insurance in Ohio.
- First, gain an understanding of individual coverages and the measures you can take to prevent expensive coverage. Many rating factors that drive up the price such as traffic citations, accidents, and an unacceptable credit rating can be eliminated by making small lifestyle or driving habit changes. Later in this article we will cover the details to help prevent expensive coverage and get bigger discounts.
- Second, request rate estimates from direct, independent, and exclusive agents. Direct and exclusive agents can only provide price estimates from a single company like Progressive or State Farm, while agents who are independent can give you price quotes for many different companies.
- Third, compare the new rate quotes to your current policy premium to see if you can save by switching companies. If you can save money, make sure the effective date of the new policy is the same as the expiration date of the old one.
- Fourth, provide proper notification to your current company of your intent to cancel the current policy and submit the required down payment along with the signed application to the new company. Once the paperwork is finalized, put the new certificate verifying coverage above your visor, in the console, or in the glove compartment.
A valuable tip to remember is to compare identical deductibles and limits on every quote request and and to get prices from as many companies as feasibly possible. This helps ensure a fair price comparison and plenty of rates choose from.
If you currently have a car insurance policy, you should be able to reduce premiums using the ideas you’re about to read. This information will familiarize you with how auto insurance companies operate. Nevertheless, Ohio consumers must comprehend how companies determine premium rates and take advantage of how the system works.
Most of the larger companies such as Allstate, GEICO and Progressive provide pricing from their websites. Doing online quotes for Dodge Dakota insurance in Toledo is quite easy because you just enter your personal and coverage information as requested by the quote form. Upon sending the form, their system will order your driving record and credit report and returns a price.
The ability to get online price quotes for Dodge Dakota insurance in Toledo makes it easy to compare insurance prices and it’s very important to compare as many rates as possible in order to find a lower rate.
In order to get comparison pricing now, visit the companies below or click here to submit a quote request to multiple companies at once. If you have coverage now, it’s recommended you complete the form with the coverage information identical to your current policy. Doing this assures you will get rate quotes for similar coverage.
The following companies have been selected to offer free rate quotes in Toledo, OH. To find cheaper auto insurance in Ohio, we suggest you visit two to three different companies in order to get a fair rate comparison.
Facts and figures for Dodge Dakota insurance
The coverage information displayed below covers a range of insurance rates for Dodge Dakota models. Learning as much as possible about how insurance premiums are figured can be of help when making decisions on the best policy to buy.
|Model||Comp||Collision||Liability||Medical||UM/UIM||Annual Premium||Monthly Premium|
|Dakota ST Ext Cab 2WD||$170||$364||$382||$22||$114||$1,052||$88|
|Dakota Bighorn Ext Cab 2WD||$170||$364||$382||$22||$114||$1,052||$88|
|Dakota Lonestar Ext Cab 2WD||$194||$364||$382||$22||$114||$1,076||$90|
|Dakota ST Crew Cab 2WD||$194||$364||$382||$22||$114||$1,076||$90|
|Dakota Bighorn Crew Cab 2WD||$194||$428||$382||$22||$114||$1,140||$95|
|Dakota Lonestar Crew Cab 2WD||$194||$428||$382||$22||$114||$1,140||$95|
|Dakota Bighorn Ext Cab 4WD||$220||$364||$306||$18||$92||$1,000||$83|
|Dakota ST Ext Cab 4WD||$220||$364||$306||$18||$92||$1,000||$83|
|Dakota Laramie Crew Cab 2WD||$220||$428||$382||$22||$114||$1,166||$97|
|Dakota ST Crew Cab 4WD||$220||$364||$306||$18||$92||$1,000||$83|
|Dakota Lonestar Ext Cab 4WD||$220||$364||$306||$18||$92||$1,000||$83|
|Dakota Bighorn Crew Cab 4WD||$220||$364||$306||$18||$92||$1,000||$83|
|Dakota TRX Crew Cab 4WD||$220||$428||$306||$18||$92||$1,064||$89|
|Dakota TRX Crew Cab 4WD||$220||$428||$306||$18||$92||$1,064||$89|
|Dakota Lonestar Crew Cab 4WD||$220||$428||$306||$18||$92||$1,064||$89|
|Dakota Laramie Crew Cab 4WD||$244||$428||$306||$18||$92||$1,088||$91|
|Get Your Own Custom Quote Go|
Table data assumes single female driver age 30, no speeding tickets, no at-fault accidents, $250 deductibles, and Ohio minimum liability limits. Discounts applied include multi-vehicle, claim-free, multi-policy, safe-driver, and homeowner. Rates do not factor in specific zip code location which can affect auto insurance rates noticeably.
The illustration below shows how choosing a deductible and can increase or decrease Dodge Dakota insurance costs for different insured age categories. The data assumes a married male driver, full physical damage coverage, and no discounts are taken into consideration.
Responsible drivers pay cheaper car insurance rates
The illustration below highlights how speeding tickets and accidents drive up Dodge Dakota car insurance rates for different age categories. The price estimates are based on a married male driver, full coverage, $1,000 deductibles, and no additional discounts are factored in.
Do you need full coverage?
The example below illustrates the comparison of Dodge Dakota annual premium costs with and without full coverage. The information is based on a clean driving record, no at-fault accidents, $100 deductibles, marital status is single, and no policy discounts are applied.
Guidelines for dropping full coverage
There is no clear-cut rule of when to stop paying for physical damage coverage, but there is a general guideline you can use. If the annual cost of comprehensive and collision coverage is more than 10% of the settlement you would receive from your company, then you may want to consider only buying liability coverage.
For example, let’s say your Dodge Dakota claim settlement value is $8,000 and you have $1,000 policy deductibles. If your vehicle is destroyed, you would only receive $7,000 after you pay the deductible. If it’s costing you more than $700 a year for comprehensive and collision coverage, then it may be the right time to buy liability only.
There are some conditions where dropping full coverage is not advised. If you still have a lienholder on your title, you have to carry full coverage in order to keep the loan. Also, if your emergency fund is not enough to purchase a different vehicle if your current one is damaged, you should not opt for liability only.
Insurance protects more than just your car
Even though it can be expensive, paying for insurance is required in Ohio but it also protects you in many ways.
- Almost all states have compulsory liability insurance requirements which means it is punishable by state law to not carry a specific minimum amount of liability insurance coverage if you want to drive legally. In Ohio these limits are 25/50/25 which means you must have $25,000 of bodily injury coverage per person, $50,000 of bodily injury coverage per accident, and $25,000 of property damage coverage.
- If you bought your Dakota with a loan, more than likely the lender will force you to have comprehensive coverage to guarantee their interest in the vehicle. If you cancel or allow the policy to lapse, the lender will be forced to insure your Dodge at an extremely high rate and require you to fork over for the much more expensive policy.
- Insurance safeguards both your vehicle and your assets. It will also provide coverage for all forms of medical expenses for not only you but also any passengers injured in an accident. As part of your policy, liability insurance will also pay for a defense attorney if you are named as a defendant in an auto accident. If you receive damage to your vehicle caused by a storm or accident, collision and comprehensive (also known as other-than-collision) coverage will pay to repair the damage.
The benefits of buying insurance greatly outweigh the cost, especially for larger claims. But the average American driver is overpaying more than $810 a year so compare rates at every renewal to be sure current rates are still competitive.
Seven factors that affect insurance costs
Lots of factors are taken into consideration when premium rates are determined. Some are pretty understandable such as traffic violations, but other criteria are less apparent like your vehicle usage and annual miles driven. Consumers need to have an understanding of the different types of things that help calculate the rates you pay for car insurance. When you know what positively or negatively impacts premium levels, this empowers consumers to make smart changes that could result in cheaper rates.
The list below includes some of the factors used by companies to determine your premiums.
- Rates impacted by your city – Being located in a small town can save you money when buying car insurance. Drivers who live in large cities have to deal with congested traffic and longer commute times. Fewer drivers means fewer accidents and lower theft and vandalism rates.
- Do you work long hours in a demanding job? – Did you know your job can affect your rates? Careers like doctors, airline pilots, and dentists tend to pay higher average rates because of stressful work requirements and lots of time spent away from family. Other careers like scientists, historians and retirees pay lower than average rates.
Gender and insurance coverage rates – Statistics demonstrate that females tend to be a little less risky than males. That doesn’t necessarily mean that women are BETTER drivers than men. Both sexes are responsible for accidents in similar percentages, but men tend to have higher claims. Men also get ticketed for serious violations such as reckless driving.
The example below visualizes the comparison of Dodge Dakota auto insurance rates for male and female drivers. Data assumes no claims or driving citations, full physical damage coverage, $250 deductibles, single status, and no discounts are factored in.
- Extra coverages that may not be needed – Policies have optional add-on coverages that sound like a good idea at the time if you aren’t diligent. Coverages for roadside assistance, accident forgiveness, and membership fees are probably not needed. They may seem like a good idea when discussing your needs, but now you might not need them so remove them from your policy.
- Marriage is a bonus – Having a spouse helps lower the price when buying car insurance. Having a spouse may mean you are less irresponsible and statistics show married drivers tend to file fewer claims.
With age comes lower premiums – Youthful drivers in Ohio have a tendency to be careless and easily distracted with other occupants in the car so they pay higher car insurance rates. Parents adding a teenage driver onto your car insurance can cause a big jump in price. Older, more experienced drivers are proven to be safer behind the wheel, cost insurance companies less in claims, and tend to be get fewer driving tickets.
The data below is based on a single driver, full coverage with $250 deductibles, and no discounts or violations.
- Decrease prices by maintaining coverage – Driving any period of time without insurance can get you a ticket and companies may charge more for letting your insurance lapse for non-payment. Not only will you pay more, failure to provide proof of insurance could earn you fines or a revoked license.
These discounts can slash Dodge Dakota insurance rates
Some companies do not advertise all their discounts in a way that’s easy to find, so the next list breaks down both well-publicized and also the more inconspicuous credits available to lower your premiums when you buy Toledo car insurance online. If you do not double check each discount possible, you could be getting lower rates.
- Discount for Life Insurance – Larger insurance carriers have a discount if you purchase some life insurance in addition to your auto policy.
- Theft Deterrent – Cars, trucks, and SUVs with anti-theft systems are stolen less frequently and that can save you a little bit as well.
- Distant Student – Kids living away from Toledo attending college without a vehicle on campus can be insured at a reduced rate.
- New Vehicle Savings – Putting car insurance coverage on a new Dakota can cost up to 25% less because new vehicles are generally safer.
- Smart Student Discounts – This discount could provide a savings of up to 20% or more. You can use this discount normally up to age 25.
- Multiple Policy Discount – When you have multiple policies and place coverage with the same company you could get a discount of as much as 10 to 15 percent.
It’s important to note that some of the credits will not apply to the overall cost of the policy. The majority will only reduce specific coverage prices like collision or personal injury protection. So even though you would think you would end up receiving a 100% discount, company stockholders wouldn’t be very happy. Any amount of discount will reduce the premium cost.
The diagram below illustrates the comparison of Dodge Dakota car insurance rates with and without some available policy discounts. The rates are based on a female driver, a clean driving record, no claims, Ohio state minimum liability limits, full coverage, and $1,000 deductibles. The first bar for each age group shows premium with no discounts. The second shows the rates with multi-policy, marriage, claim-free, safe-driver, multi-car, and homeowner discounts applied.
Some of the larger companies who may offer these benefits are:
If you need affordable Toledo car insurance quotes, ask each insurance company which discounts they offer. Savings might not apply in Toledo. If you would like to view car insurance companies with discount car insurance rates in Toledo, click this link.
Do I need special coverages?
When it comes to coverage, there is no best way to insure your cars. Every insured’s situation is different.
For example, these questions might help in determining if you might need professional guidance.
- Is there coverage for injuries to my pets?
- Can I use my car for my catering business?
- If my car is totaled with they pay enough to replace it?
- Why do I only qualify for high-risk insurance?
- Am I covered if I have no license?
- When should I not buy collision coverage?
- Exactly who is provided coverage by my policy?
- Why is insurance for a teen driver so high in Toledo?
- Can I get a multi-policy discount?
- I have health insurance so do I need medical payments coverage?
If you can’t answer these questions, you might consider talking to a licensed insurance agent. If you don’t have a local agent, take a second and complete this form.
Neighborhood agents and auto insurance
A small number of people just want to talk to an insurance agent and that can be a smart move The biggest benefit of comparing rate quotes online is that you can find the best rates and still choose a local agent. And supporting neighborhood agents is still important in Toledo.
Once you complete this form (opens in new window), your information is emailed to participating agents in Toledo who will give you quotes for your business. It makes it easy because there is no need to even leave your home because quoted prices will be sent immediately to your email address. You can find better rates AND an agent nearby. If you want to compare rates from a specific auto insurance provider, just jump over to their website and submit a quote form there.
If you’re trying to find a reliable insurance agent, there are two different types of agents that differ in how they can insure your vehicles. Auto insurance agencies can be categorized as either independent (non-exclusive) or exclusive.
Independent Auto Insurance Agents (or Brokers)
Independent agents are not restricted to one company so they can write business with multiple insurance companies and get you the best rates possible. If they quote lower rates, they simply move your policy to a different company which requires no work on your part.
If you need lower rates, you should always compare prices from at least one independent agent to get the most accurate price comparison. They often place coverage with companies you’ve never heard of who may have lower rates.
Listed below is a list of independent agents in Toledo who can help you get rate quotes.
- Kranz PJ Insurance Agency
4349 Talmadge Rd – Toledo, OH 43623 – (419) 473-2416 – View Map
- Park and Co Insurance
5749 Park Center Ct – Toledo, OH 43615 – (419) 474-8135 – View Map
- Nationwide Insurance: AOK Ins and Financial Services LLC
4452 Heatherdowns Blvd – Toledo, OH 43614 – (419) 472-9405 – View Map
Exclusive Insurance Agencies
Exclusive agencies can only provide one company’s prices such as Farmers Insurance or State Farm. These agents are unable to compare other company’s rates so they really need to provide good service. Exclusive agencies are well trained on what they offer which can be an advantage. Consumers often buy insurance from these agents mainly due to the prominence of the brand rather than having the cheapest rates.
The following are Toledo exclusive insurance agencies willing to provide rate quotes.
- Nathan Ensey – State Farm Insurance Agent
4024 N Holland Sylvania Rd Ste 6 – Toledo, OH 43623 – (419) 517-8811 – View Map
- Marty Vugrinac – State Farm Insurance Agent
1022 S Reynolds Rd – Toledo, OH 43615 – (419) 389-0533 – View Map
- State Farm: Romie Brown
1843 W Alexis Rd #1 – Toledo, OH 43613 – (419) 480-1212 – View Map
Finding the right auto insurance agent needs to be determined by more than just the bottom line cost. These are some questions your agent should answer.
- Do they have 24-hour customer assistance?
- What are the financial ratings for the companies they represent?
- Does the agency support the community they serve?
- Can they give you a list of client referrals?
- Is the agent and/or agency licensed to do business in Ohio?
- What is their Better Business Bureau rating?
- Do they carry Errors and Omissions coverage?
- Will they make sure you get an adequate claim settlement?
If you get answers to your satisfaction to your questions and an affordable coverage quote, most likely you have located an insurance agency that will provide auto insurance coverage.
Which car insurance company is best in Toledo?
Ending up with the highest-rated insurance provider can be difficult considering how many choices drivers have in Ohio. The rank data listed below can help you pick which insurers you want to consider shopping your coverage with.
Top 10 Toledo Car Insurance Companies Ranked by Value
- AAA Insurance
- Erie Insurance
- State Farm
- Liberty Mutual
- Safeco Insurance
- 21st Century
Top 10 Toledo Car Insurance Companies Ranked by Customer Service
- State Farm
- Safeco Insurance
- American Family
- Titan Insurance
- Liberty Mutual
- Erie Insurance
Frequent quotes can save
When shopping online for auto insurance, never skimp on critical coverages to save a buck or two. In too many instances, someone dropped uninsured motorist or liability limits only to discover later that the small savings ended up costing them much more. Your strategy should be to buy enough coverage at the best price while still protecting your assets.
In this article, we presented some good ideas how you can find lower-cost Dodge Dakota insurance in Toledo. The most important thing to understand is the more times you quote, the better likelihood of getting affordable Dodge Dakota insurance quotes. You may even be surprised to find that the lowest rates are with a small local company.
Lower-priced auto insurance in Toledo is available from both online companies and with local Toledo insurance agents, and you need to comparison shop both to have the best selection. Some auto insurance companies don’t offer rates over the internet and many times these small, regional companies sell through independent agents.
Additional detailed information can be read by following these links:
- Auto Insurance Learning Center (State Farm)
- Who Has Cheap Auto Insurance Rates for Government Employees in Toledo? (FAQ)
- Who Has Affordable Auto Insurance Quotes for Drivers with a Bad Driving Record in Toledo? (FAQ)
- Who Has Cheap Car Insurance Quotes for Safe Drivers in Toledo? (FAQ)
- Who Has Cheap Car Insurance for Lyft Drivers in Toledo? (FAQ)
- Who Has the Cheapest Car Insurance for a Jeep Grand Cherokee in Toledo? (FAQ)
- Who Has Affordable Car Insurance Quotes for Immigrants in Toledo? (FAQ)
- Understanding Your Insurance Deductible (Insurance Information Institute)
- Auto Crash Statistics (Insurance Information Institute)
- How to shop for a safer car (Insurance Institute for Highway Safety)
- Teen Driving Statistics (iihs.org)