Searching for low-cost insurance for your Chevy Cavalier in Ohio could be a painful process, but you can learn a few tricks and make it easy.
There are both good and bad ways to find auto insurance online so we’re going to tell you the absolute fastest way to compare rates for a new or used Chevy and find the best price possible either online or from Toledo insurance agents.
Smart consumers take time to price shop coverage before your next renewal due to the fact that insurance rates are constantly changing. Even if you think you had the best deal on Chevy Cavalier insurance in Toledo six months ago the chances are good that you can find a lower price today. Forget all the misinformation about auto insurance because we’re going to demonstrate the tricks you need to know to lower your rates without sacrificing coverage.
Quoting and comparing affordable policy in Toledo is not as confusing as people think. If you have a policy now or want to find a cheaper company, you can use these techniques to reduce the price you pay while maintaining coverages. Drivers only need to know the best way to compare different rates from many different companies online.
How do Insurance Companies Determine Chevy Cavalier Insurance Prices?
A large part of saving on insurance is knowing some of the factors that come into play when calculating the level of your policy premiums. If you have a feel for what controls the rates you pay, this enables informed choices that can help you get cheaper rates. Lots of factors are part of the calculation when you get a price on insurance. A few of the factors are predictable such as your driving history, but some are more transparent such as your marital status and annual miles driven.
The following are some of the factors insurance companies consider when setting prices.
Can a thief steal your car? – Choosing a vehicle that has a built-in theft deterrent system can save you a little every year. Anti-theft features like vehicle immobilizer systems, General Motors OnStar and LoJack tracking systems all hinder auto theft and help lower rates.
Less chance of injury means lower insurance rates – Safer cars are cheaper to insure. Safe vehicles protect occupants better and reduced instances of injuries translates directly to fewer claims passed on to you as lower rates. If the Chevy Cavalier scored better than four stars on Safercar.gov you may pay a lower rate.
Does insurance cost more for guys? – Statistics demonstrate that females tend to be a little less risky than males. This data doesn’t prove that females are better drivers. Men and women get in accidents at a similar rate, but men have accidents that have higher claims. Not only are claims higher, but men get more serious tickets such as reckless driving. Young men ages 16 to 20 generally have the highest accident percentage so they pay the highest premiums.
Pay more for higher performance vehicles – The type of car you own makes a significant difference in the rate you pay. Small economy passenger vehicles receive the most favorable rates, but that’s not the only thing that factors into the final price.
How many miles do you drive? – The more you drive annually the more it will cost to insure it. Many insurance companies charge to insure your cars based on their usage. Vehicles that do not get driven very much receive lower rates than those used for commuting. It’s a good idea to make sure your vehicle rating states the correct driver usage, because improper ratings can cost you money. Having an incorrect usage rating on your Cavalier may be wasting your money.
Rental and towing coverage may not be needed – Insurance companies have many add-on coverages you can purchase if you aren’t careful. Insurance for rental car reimbursement, high-cost glass coverage, and motor club memberships are examples of these. You may think they are a good idea when buying your policy, but your money might be better spent on other coverage so consider taking them off your policy.
How credit rating affects insurance premiums – Having a bad credit history can be an important factor in calculating your premium rate. Therefore, if your credit history is lower than you’d like, you could pay less to insure your Chevrolet Cavalier by improving your credit score. Drivers with high credit ratings tend to be less risk to insure than those with poor credit scores.
The providers in the list below have been selected to offer free quotes in Ohio. If multiple companies are listed, we recommend you compare several of them to get a more complete price comparison.
Auto insurance protects more than just your car
Despite the high cost, insurance is a good idea for several reasons.
- Just about all states have mandatory liability insurance requirements which means you are required to carry a minimum amount of liability insurance if you don’t want to risk a ticket. In Ohio these limits are 25/50/25 which means you must have $25,000 of bodily injury coverage per person, $50,000 of bodily injury coverage per accident, and $25,000 of property damage coverage.
- If your Chevy Cavalier has a lienholder, almost every bank will make it mandatory that you have full coverage to guarantee their interest in the vehicle. If the policy lapses, the lender will be forced to insure your Chevy for a lot more money and require you to pay for it.
- Insurance safeguards both your assets and your vehicle. It will also pay for medical transport and hospital expenses for you, your passengers, and anyone else injured in an accident. As part of your policy, liability insurance also covers legal expenses in the event you are sued. If your car is damaged in a storm or accident, comprehensive and collision coverage will pay to repair the damage minus the deductible amount.
The benefits of having insurance greatly outweigh the cost, particularly for liability claims. According to a recent study, the average American driver is overpaying more than $865 each year so compare rates each time the policy renews to be sure current rates are still competitive.
Discounts for cheap insurance rates
The cost of insuring your cars can be expensive, but you can get discounts that you may not even know about. Some trigger automatically at the time you complete a quote, but lesser-known reductions have to be requested specifically before you will receive the discount.
- Multiple Vehicles – Buying coverage for multiple cars with one company could earn a price break for each car.
- Discount for Multiple Policies – If you have multiple policies and insure them both with the same insurance company you could get a discount of up to 20% off your total Cavalier insurance premium.
- Cautious Driver Discounts – Insureds without accidents may save up to 50% more than drivers with accident claims.
- Theft Deterrent System – Vehicles equipped with tracking devices and advanced anti-theft systems are less likely to be stolen and earn discounts up to 10% off your Toledo auto insurance quote.
- Anti-lock Brake Discount – Vehicles that have anti-lock braking systems are much safer to drive so companies give up to a 10% discount.
- Life Insurance Discount – Insurance companies who offer life insurance give better premium rates if you take out a life policy as well.
- One Accident Forgiven – Not really a discount, but certain companies permit an accident before they charge you more for coverage so long as you are claim-free for a specific time period.
- Clubs and Organizations – Joining qualifying employment or professional organizations is a good way to get lower rates on your next insurance statement.
- College Student – College-age children living away from Toledo attending college and won’t have access to an insured vehicle can receive lower rates.
Just know that many deductions do not apply to the whole policy. Most only apply to the price of certain insurance coverages like physical damage coverage or medical payments. Despite the appearance that it’s possible to get free car insurance, companies wouldn’t make money that way. But any discount will help lower your insurance premiums.
Larger insurance companies and some of the premium reductions they offer are shown below.
- GEICO offers premium reductions for anti-lock brakes, multi-policy, federal employee, air bags, daytime running lights, and good student.
- MetLife has discounts for multi-policy, good driver, accident-free, defensive driver, and good student.
- Progressive may offer discounts for multi-vehicle, multi-policy, continuous coverage, homeowner, and online quote discount.
- Travelers may have discounts that include hybrid/electric vehicle, continuous insurance, save driver, good student, IntelliDrive, payment discounts, and early quote.
- SAFECO discounts include multi-car, accident prevention training, teen safety rewards, drive less, and safe driver.
- AAA offers discounts for good driver, pay-in-full, anti-theft, education and occupation, good student, and AAA membership discount.
When comparing rates, check with every company to give you their best rates. Some credits might not be offered everywhere.
When to contact an insurance agency
Certain consumers would prefer to get advice from a local agent and that can be a smart move Most agents are highly skilled in risk management and help submit paperwork. One of the great benefits of comparing insurance prices online is that drivers can save money and get lower rates but still work with a licensed agent. Supporting neighborhood insurance agencies is important especially in Toledo.
For easy comparison, once you complete this form (opens in new window), the coverage information is emailed to agents in your area who will give you bids and help you find cheaper coverage. You won’t need to drive around since price quotes are sent immediately to your email address. If you need to get a price quote from a particular provider, just navigate to their website and fill out their quote form.
Finding a good company needs to be determined by more than just a low price. These questions are important to ask:
- How many years of experience in personal auto insurance do they have?
- Is the agent and/or agency licensed to do business in Ohio?
- Does the agency support the community they serve?
- Do they have any clout with companies to ensure a fair claim settlement?
- Are there any hidden costs in their price quote and does it include driving and credit history?
- Will vehicle repairs be made with aftermarket parts or OEM replacement parts?
- When do they do a full risk review?
After talking to the agent and getting positive feedback for all questions you ask and the cheapest Chevrolet Cavalier insurance in Toledo quotes, you’ve probably found an insurance company that is professional and can properly insure your vehicles. But keep in mind it’s your policy and you can cancel your policy for any reason so don’t assume you’re contractually obligated to any specific agency with no way out.
Which auto insurance company is best in Toledo?
Choosing the top auto insurance company can be rather challenging considering how many different companies insure vehicles in Ohio. The information displayed below could help you select which companies you want to consider when shopping around.
|Company||Value||Customer Service||Claims||Customer Satisfaction||A.M Best Rating||Overall Score|
|Compare Rates Now Go|
Data Source: Insure.com Best Car Insurance Companies
Do I just need basic coverages?
When selecting insurance from an agent or online for your vehicles, there really isn’t a cookie cutter policy. Your needs are not the same as everyone else’s so your insurance needs to address that.
Here are some questions about coverages that might help in determining whether you would benefit from professional advice.
- Why am I be forced to buy a membership to get insurance from some companies?
- Do I have any recourse if my insurance company denies a claim?
- What if an uninsured driver hits me?
- What are the financial responsibility laws in my state?
- What happens if I owe more than my Chevy Cavalier is worth?
- Do I need special coverage while pulling a rented trailer?
- How can I get the company to pay a claim?
- Does my Chevy Cavalier qualify for pleasure use?
If you’re not sure about those questions but a few of them apply, you may need to chat with an insurance agent. If you don’t have a local agent, fill out this quick form or go to this page to view a list of companies. It’s fast, free and you can get the answers you need.
Shop around and save
Budget-friendly car insurance in Toledo is definitely available on the web and from local agencies, and you need to comparison shop both to have the best rate selection. Some companies may not provide rate quotes online and many times these smaller providers only sell through independent agents.
You just learned a lot of information how to get a better price on Chevy Cavalier insurance in Toledo. The key thing to remember is the more price quotes you have, the better chance you’ll have of finding cheaper Toledo auto insurance quotes. Drivers may even discover the lowest rates are with some of the lesser-known companies. Regional companies may often insure only within specific states and give better rates than the large multi-state companies such as Allstate or State Farm.
Steps to finding affordable quotes for Chevy Cavalier insurance in Toledo
If you want to save the most money, the best way to get discount auto insurance rates is to make a habit of regularly comparing prices from providers in Toledo. Rate comparisons can be done by following these guidelines.
- Try to learn about how auto insurance works and the measures you can take to keep rates down. Many factors that increase rates such as distracted driving and poor credit rating can be improved by making small lifestyle or driving habit changes.
- Request price quotes from direct, independent, and exclusive agents. Direct and exclusive agents can give quotes from a single company like Progressive and State Farm, while agents who are independent can provide prices for many different companies. Start a quote
- Compare the new quotes to your existing coverage and determine if there is any savings. If you find a lower rate quote, verify that coverage does not lapse between policies.
- Provide notification to your current company of your decision to cancel your current coverage and submit a down payment along with a signed application for your new policy. Immediately upon receiving it, put the certificate of insurance along with your vehicle registration.
An important note is that you’ll want to compare similar deductibles and liability limits on each quote request and and to get price quotes from as many car insurance companies as possible. Doing this enables a fair rate comparison and a complete selection of prices.
Even more information is available by following these links:
- How do I File a Claim? (Insurance Information Institute)
- Who Has Cheap Auto Insurance for 19 Year Olds in Toledo? (FAQ)
- Who Has the Cheapest Car Insurance Rates for Uber Drivers in Toledo? (FAQ)
- How Much is Toledo Auto Insurance for 18 Year Olds? (FAQ)
- Who Has Cheap Toledo Auto Insurance for High Mileage Drivers? (FAQ)
- Who Has the Cheapest Car Insurance Quotes for 17 Year Olds in Toledo? (FAQ)
- Higher speed limits cause more fatalities (Insurance Institute for Highway Safety)
- Auto Insurance FAQ (Farmers Insurance)